Sunday, August 16, 2009

Small Update: "Good" News

I was talking to Uncle Gregory again and he had better news this time.

I guess what had happened this morning was Mom got up okay, went to the shower, came back to her room and tried to tell Janet something. She seemed confused but was definitely incoherent and Janet called the hospital right away. They hooked Mom up to the IV feeding drip and in the first hour she drained the first bag so they brought in a second one. Her blood sugar was extremely elevated, her salts were very low and she had been extremely dehydrated. By this evening when Gregory left he said she'd been doing much better, she'd even felt like eating a few spoonfuls of soup, which, for her, is a good sign.

They're going to keep her in until Tuesday, when she's meeting with Dr. Kahn again, and then they expect they'll discharge her. She's still going for the biopsy on Thursday but the new plan is I'm going to be there too. Christine found me another ticket that'll get me to the Island on Thursday afternoon and then I'll be leaving again on Monday evening. She'd asked if I even wanted to bother with a plane ticket back or if I was going to take my sabbatical now, but I said I didn't think it was time yet. I sure hope it's not time yet.

Anyway, Gregory promised to call me if anything changed or if he had any updates. I'll call him tomorrow night with my travel plans so he knows what's going on. I'll be putting anything I find out up here as soon as I figure I can write about it and have it make sense.

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for the good news and for putting thing things into perspective for us, and thank you for keeping us posted.

    It's very warm tonight and I can't sleep. Summer has finally arrived in Fredericton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking of you Joe - this is so tough.
    It's quite likely that it's dehydration - that'll cause you to get confused, disoriented and dizzy - it's the main cause of low blood pressure. It'll also make any other symptoms feel worse (temporarily) and it's very common. Thank goodness it's easily treated with IV fluids. If your mum isn't eating much she probably isn't drinking anywhere near enough either. Hopefully she'll feel better after the day in the hospital, and I'm sure having you there will help.
    We're thinking supportive thoughts and hoping for more good news.

    ReplyDelete