Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Week In

It doesn't feel like I've been here a week yet, but at times I feel like I've been here all summer. I guess in a way I have.

Last night was bad for Mom. Another of the tumors started bleeding, maybe burst, they're not sure yet, and so she lost some amount of blood in her urine. The nurse last night thought it was a lot, Monica didn't think it was as much when I was talking to her this morning, but they're doing tests to confirm. Another blood transfusion is on the list of options being considered right now. It was bad enough that by the time I got in to the hospital this morning they had a catheter installed and the urine collection bag clearly still has new blood flowing in. Now we're into the realm of risk assessment, I guess. Monica had Mom on a mild blood thinner because there's a risk of clots forming in her legs and travelling to her lungs since she's not moving on her own at all now. Unfortunately, the bleeding into her bladder is real now and the blood thinners are at best not helping, at worst contributing to the problem. So Monica said she's decided the best course of action right now is to stop the blood thinners, risk the clot and try to manage the very real problem of internal bleeding.

It's been mercifully quiet here this morning. Normally it's nice to see the flow of visitors coming in, but with her so weak this morning and having gone two nights in a row without decent sleep, it's good that today she can just snooze and hopefully regain her strength. My sister should be arriving in the next few hours, she thinks by about 6:00pm but based on where she seems to be from the text messages I think she may be here sooner than that, and I really hope Mom is feeling strong enough to enjoy the reunion. It'll be the first time I've ever met Trish face-to-face, so this is going to be a pretty big day. Last week Mom made it clear to me that she wanted us to meet here, in her room, so she can be there to see us together, so we're going to do the best we can to make that happen.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for the turn of event for your mother. This is like a roller coaster ride. Hope that they can stop the bleeding.

    Nicole send her love to Phyllis. She is just arriving in Glasgow from Portugal today. She has been on the Costelo pilgrimage route in Spain and Portugal this summer. I had not heard from her and she never got my message that mom had passed away at the end of July.

    I noticed that I have misspelled Cairns Motel yesterday. Thanks again Joe for all you did to make sure that we were all well taken care of. It was nice to meet your Uncle and Aunt and your mom's friends.

    Trisha and Jim were here for lunch and rested for a little while and are on their way to the Island. They had no difficulty finding us as they used Mapquest. She said that she had no idea where they were staying and I told her that Janet was supposed to take them in.

    Happy reunion with your sister.
    Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just forgot to say that we had lost our power last evening when it got very windy and I was late finishing my cleaning up at the farm. I couldn't rinse my milk can and had to finish it in the morning. I couldn't even shower after my barn work and slept dirty in my clean bed. Yuck!!!

    This morning I had another bull calf born by the silo waiting for a place to stay. All my 10 calf pens are full and I now have 15 small calves. So 5 have to be put in the larger calf pens. It makes my work much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday, August 28, 2009

    We've been wondering how your mom is today and what kind of day you and her had yesterday. Also we were wondering how Trish and Jim made out getting to Summerside. We hope that all went well and that your mom was strong enough to enjoy the visit. George called your cell last night and left a message. I had another calf born this morning and the mother was down in the field by the silos, too weak to get up. We are lucky that the calf was OK as the cow had given up and the calf's hind feet were still inside her. I never know what to expect when I go to work. Vaughan treated her and I assisted holding the IV. It took about an hour in all to treat her and still we needed to call the vet. Never a dull moment on the farm.
    Say Hi to everyone and give our love to your mom, hoping she has a good day.

    Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete