Thursday, December 18, 2014

Another Anniversary

Today is the first anniversary of my father's death and since I've been meaning to come back here for ages, I thought now might be a good time to do that.

Dad died on December 18th, 2013. I made it home in time to say goodbye, but just barely. I was at the hospital at 11:30pm on the 17th, he passed away sometime before 3am the next morning and by the time and any civilized human would call "morning" the first(?) of a seemingly endless series of snow-storms hit the island. There were many reasons why I couldn't have been late, and I knew it on the drive home and I think the boys knew it too, because at one and three years old, no one can be expected to take a thirteen hour drive in good humour, but they did.

That was not easy. What was worse was dealing with everything that came after. Once again Steven and Brenda stepped up and offered the kind of help that I couldn't ask for. I had family all offering to help too, of course, but going through the house and the garage and all of dad's old stuff, I don't think I could've done that with family, I needed someone who wasn't as invested to help me figure out what I really needed to keep and what could go.  I don't want anyone to think I didn't want or didn't appreciate the offers from all of my family, but I know if I'd had the people there who had been at all of our Christmas dinners and birthday parties while I was growing up and so on, I'd've been paralyzed by the memories.

Anyway, there were treasures we found while cleaning out Dad's place, too.  Here are two of them.



A photo of Mom I found in his garage, in a place where I'm sure he saw it all the time but nobody else would've.

And a photo of him.

More later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe, it's nice seeing you posting on your blog again. I remember those types of cat eyes glasses. like your mom wore. They were very popular back then.... It must be a High School photo. It's now a cherished possession.

    These anniversary are always difficult but I'm glad that you took the time to post about it. You're such a dear. I'm sure they are both at peace and smiling proudly on your nice little family.

    Looking to seeing you all soon.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete