Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A new plan for Friday

I'm going to Halifax.

Christine found a pretty good deal on a flight out first thing in the morning and a reasonable price on the way back on Monday so I'm going to get to be in the room when we're talking to the doctor. I claimed I'm pretty good at packing up and going without much notice, so something like 36+ hours should be plenty for me to not miss the critical stuff, right? The thing is, my ingenious plan involved me renting a car from the Halifax airport (which is only slightly closer to the actual city of Halifax than I am right now) but it completely fell apart when I discovered there are no rental cars in Halifax. At all. Period. So impossible did this revelation seem to me that I called four different rental agencies (you'll probably know them all) and all of them told me they had nothing available to rent for the weekend. One woman told me they hadn't shown anything for the past week. Another guy started just checking other random places to see if the reservation system was broken for me. Crazy. But that's okay, I called Mom and told her I was going to be there with her and that we'd figure out some kind of solution to what is a trivially small problem in the grand scheme of things and less than an hour later we had a solution that I think will work for everyone.

I'll get around to this later but I did tell Mom just about one week ago that there was going to be more good news coming, she just had to wait for it, and here we are. It's not big news, but it's good, I'll get to be there with her, and any good news is nice right now.

I don't know where I'll be staying on the Island right now either, but if I can update the blog Friday night, I will. I know I'll want to get as much of it down as I can while it's still fresh.

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I get a "Content Warning", advisory when I visit your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I opted for a content warning. I don't plan to put anything specifically offensive here, but I also don't want to edit myself so if I feel I want to lash out about something, because let's face it, I'm an emotional guy and I expect this is going to get harder as it goes on, I don't want to have any of the Google/Blogspot content folks giving me a hard time.

    I suppose I can take it off until I feel like I need it, though.

    ReplyDelete